Find and Compare Local Contractors
Construction Defects and EIFS Information Home Inspections and Inspectors Find Local Building Codes Information on Asbestos and Removal Learn About Radon and Irradication Resources for Mold and Mildew Cleanup Get Proper Air Quality with Clean Ducts
Construction / EIFS Home Inspection Building Codes Asbestos Radon Mold Air Quality

Mold Allergy

Mold is one of the most common causes of allergy. In fact, mold allergy is prevalent, however without proper testing it may go undiagnosed.    Mold is a fungus that thrives on decomposing organisms.  It breeds by sending spores through the air and relies on moist conditions.  Therefore, any area that is damp, warm, humid, or muggy is a potential breeding ground for mold.  Unfortunately, many of these areas are located in homes and office buildings.  Mold could be growing in your home and you may not realize it.  Many people suffer from a mold allergy, without ever knowing that mold is present in their homes.

Mold can grow in places where it is clearly seen, such as in tub or tile grout or on basement walls, however it can also grow in areas where it cannot be detected.  This can contribute greatly to a mold allergy.  For instance, mold may be present in walls, air conditioning vents and ducts, or even in pillows.  This is why if you suspect that you may be allergic to mold, you should have your home tested.  In addition, you will need to have your health care provider give you a test to make certain that you have a mold allergy.

The symptoms of mold allergy include having a runny nose, sinus headache, sneezing, watery eyes, rashes, sinus pain, pressure, and headaches, difficulty breathing, and constantly coughing.  Since these signs are very similar to the common cold or flu, it is imperative that you have a test performed to determine whether or not you are allergic to mold.

If you are allergic to mold, you will need to take certain steps to remove mold from you home. Some of these steps include removing moisture, preventing more mold from occurring, and removing the mold that is already present.  A great way to remove moisture is to use a dehumidifier.  Make sure to keep the dehumidifier set at or below 40% to prevent mold growth.