Find and Compare Local Contractors
Construction Defects and EIFS Information Home Inspections and Inspectors Find Local Building Codes Information on Asbestos and Removal Learn About Radon and Irradication Resources for Mold and Mildew Cleanup Get Proper Air Quality with Clean Ducts
Construction / EIFS Home Inspection Building Codes Asbestos Radon Mold Air Quality

Mold Count

Mold is the cause of many allergies.  As a fungus, mold is an important part of the natural environment.  It helps break down decaying leaves, trees, plants, and other organic material.  However, when it is in your home, it is a serious health factor.  Mold in the home must be removed, cleaned, and prevented.  However, if you are allergic to mold, you’ll find that you may have a difficult time being outside when the mold count is high.

Like the pollen count, the mold count measures how many mold spores are in the air in a twenty-four hour period.  When the mold count is high, allergy sufferers know that they will need to take extra precaution to avoid the implications and effects of mold allergy.

By using the mold count, people can ensure that they stay healthy and avoid being outside on days when there is an excessive amount of mold spores in the air.  Mold spreads in the air through spores.  When spores land, they multiply quickly. In fact, people can breathe in millions of mold spores within minutes.  For those with mold allergies, this can have disastrous results.

Some of the symptoms of mold allergies include a runny nose, congestion, sinus headache, nausea, watery eyes, and coughing.  People respond to mold in different ways, and for some people, a high mold count will not cause them any problems.  However, for some people, such as babies, pregnant women, the elderly, and those with a compromised immune system, high mold levels can cause sickness and great discomfort.  Many people with asthma find that mold allergy creates serious symptoms such as labored breathing, and shortness of breath.  When there is a high level of mold in the air, it is very important for those who are sick, weak, or sensitive to mold to avoid contact with mold spores.