Find and Compare Local Contractors
Construction Defects and EIFS Information Home Inspections and Inspectors Find Local Building Codes Information on Asbestos and Removal Learn About Radon and Irradication Resources for Mold and Mildew Cleanup Get Proper Air Quality with Clean Ducts
Construction / EIFS Home Inspection Building Codes Asbestos Radon Mold Air Quality

Mold in Homes

Mold has always been an allergen, but awareness and questions surrounding mold have grown as more media attention has been given to extensive problems regarding mold in homes. Mold spores can enter your house in a number of ways, including on your clothing and with the movement of air. Many parts of the home contain enough food and adequate temperatures to allow the mold spores to grow. After the mold settles all that it needs is a little moisture to grow.

If mold in homes continues to grow it can lead to respiratory congestion, eye irritation, headaches and fatigue. For some asthma can be triggered by mold in homes. If you find mold in your home you need to find the moisture source, then make the necessary changes to reduce or control the moisture and finally to safely get rid of any mold in your house. There are many ways you can deal with mold in your house and prevent it from growing in the first place.

If you are constantly getting a musty smell in your basement then you may want to run a dehumidifier in order to deal with mold in homes. Mold in bathrooms is typically a bigger problems during the winter when a lot of moisture is placed in the air. Be sure you wipe moisture off the shower walls and tub while drying your used towels elsewhere in order to prevent mold in homes. However, the most important step for bathrooms is to provide ventilation to the exterior in order to get rid of the moisture before it can even build up in the bathroom.

When it comes to removing existing mold you should physically remove as much as possible with a strong detergent. Then rinse and follow with a bleach solution to sanitize the area. If you can’t easily clean off the mold then you should throw away any removable items. If the mold is particularly bad then you should consider hiring a professional to remove the mold for you.