Find and Compare Local Contractors
Construction Defects and EIFS Information Home Inspections and Inspectors Find Local Building Codes Information on Asbestos and Removal Learn About Radon and Irradication Resources for Mold and Mildew Cleanup Get Proper Air Quality with Clean Ducts
Construction / EIFS Home Inspection Building Codes Asbestos Radon Mold Air Quality

Test for Mold

Mold can be a major health concern if left untreated in your home. That’s why it’s important to test for mold. If you catch the problem early you can avoid any health problems related to the mold. Testing for mold is a simple process as long as you know the steps and precautions before you begin. Some of the most important steps include knowing what kind of mold to look for, how to look for it, and how to remove it if you find any. It’s also important to look for mold in the places where it thrives. Spaces like attics, basements or storage closets are prime targets for mold and should be checked first when you test for mold.

Oftentimes people look for the more obvious types of mold when performing a search. Unfortunately some of the most harmful types of mold are less obvious and harder to spot. Be sure you don’t get distracted; make sure to look for both black mold and lighter colored mold. Also be sure to look everywhere in the area where you test. When you test for mold don’t just peek in the corners of the basement or attic, survey the whole area and take the extra time to look in confined area. Look behind furniture, in closets, and underneath carpets to make sure you’ve covered all possible areas for mold to grow.

Once you have found evidence of mold be sure to remove it properly to avoid a recurrence of the problem, or worse, and increased health risk due to improper removal. If you are not sure your home has mold it can be helpful to employ a professional to test for mold. Professionals in the field are certified to collect mold and have the experience to identify what kind of mold is affecting the area. If the mold is obvious with the naked eye than a test for mold by a professional is not necessary. Make sure to use water spray to dampen the mold before removing it. This way the mold is not stirred up and you avoid creating an airborne health risk.